The first meetings of the “Nieuwe Republiek” took place in tents where it was decided to construct a permanent building and this building was erected in 1885 out of natural materials at a cost of £250. The Building served as both the Volksraad and the Magistrates Courts. From 1894 to 1906 the building was used as the Post Office and later as the Police Station before becoming the office of State Veterinary’s Office.

In 1936 it was declared a National Monument and 1938 turned into a museum. It was the fifth building in Natal and the sixteenth in South Africa to become a National Monument. It is one of the oldest museums in Natal.