The building housing the museum is the Toll House which was erected in 1879 in the town of Colenso. The first man to occupy this quaint little building was W.R. Steward, the toll keeper. It was later converted into a Battle Museum and named after Dr. R.E. Stevenson, the military historian and former Director of Natal Hospital Services. The Museum is well worth visiting as there are many historical exhibits to be seen, including a model of the Battle of Colenso. The key is available at the Police station.