This magnificent old building was erected during the ministry of Rev. H. L. Neethling the first moderator of the “Nederdutsche Hervormede of Gereformeerde Kerk” of the Zuid-Afrikaansche Republiek (Transvaal). The foundation stone was laid by Gen. Piet Joubert, Commandant General of the Zuid Afrikaansche Republiek on October 23 1891 and was consecrated on April 21, 1893. The service on this occasion was conducted by the Rev. Dr. Andrew Murray, moderator or the Church in the Cape Colony and elder brother of Mrs Neethling. The building is a National Monument.